SPECIAL EDUCATION DIRECTOR
The Special Education Director is responsible to the Superintendent for the planning and
administration of the special education services in SAU #53,
which requires close work with principals, coordinators, school boards, and
school staff in meeting the needs of children.
This position shall develop and maintain a system of special education services,
capably staffed to provide high quality educational and supportive
offerings. The Special Education
Director shall develop and implement all necessary procedures to achieve these
objectives within the financial allotments of local, state and federal sources,
and in financial allocations of local, state, and federal sources, in
accordance with federal and
The Special Education Director is responsible for the recruitment, supervision and evaluation of the following personnel & programs:
NATURE AND SCOPE
The Special Education Director works with administrators, staff and school boards in translating the special education needs of each district into a composite special education plan. The Director interprets the effect of the special education program on the financial structure of each district. The job includes long-term special education planning, staffing and diagnostic requirements, and budget administration. The Director is responsible for operating the Special Services division of the SAU.
The job includes responsibility for contacts with legal counsel on special education issues. The position interprets the special education area of educational programs to the
public and to the internal educational staff. The Director works with principals to
identify needs and assists the principals in the recruitment of special education personnel
for the schools. The Director advises the Superintendent and school boards on policy
and administrative procedures as they relate to special education. Should there be
disagreement on placement of an identified child among members of the pupil
placement team, the Director is responsible for mediation and preparing a
recommendation for the school board.
1. Designs, maintains, and administers a state-required special services plan, and SAU #53 procedures manual for IEP students and others with special needs.
2. Responsible for recommending out-of district placement of identified children for school board action.
3. Evaluate SAU #53 special service personnel and assists principals in the evaluation of school district special service personnel on request of the Principal and/or Superintendent.
4. Responsible for maintaining current job descriptions for SAU #53 special services personnel, and assists in the development of job descriptions for school district special education personnel when requested.
5. Monitors and adjusts the assignment of itinerant special service personnel.
6. Interviews and makes recommendations to the Superintendent with regard to
candidates for SAU #53 special service positions; works with principals on
recruitment of guidance counselors; advises principals on recruitment of school district special service personnel.
7. Advises the special education evaluation/placement team or each school district in the performance of its duties.
8. Provides leadership in the development of identified special needs programs, and acts as consultant to boards, administrators, specialists, and teachers in matters pertaining to identified special needs students.
All other duties as assigned by the Superintendent.